Friday, January 25, 2013

Confession Vol. 3 | On Procrastination


Today, I give you my confession on being a self-proclaimed Type A person, but also a procrastinator... wha?!

First things first, I just looked up the defining characteristics of a Type A person:

From wiki"ambitious, rigidly organized, highly status conscious, can be sensitive, care for other people, are truthful, impatient, always try to help others, take on more than they can handle, want other people to get to the point, proactive, and obsessed with time management."

I've bolded the points that I think are true for me (talk about fitting a stereotype!). BUT I didn't bold proactive because I don't really believe that I am.  It seems crazy to claim being both Type A and a procrastinator, right? Am I alone on this?

But it's true. I'm the list-making, over-achieving, perfectionist type, for sure, but at the same time, I am the worst procrastinator (although, Taras just admitted that he's worse than me, which is true. And, yes, we have two procrastinators in one marriage - help!). My problem is that I just want it to feel like it's the right time to do something (which, let's face it, is generally about the same time a deadline approaches and something must absolutely get done).

And the real kicker is that I'm smart and motivated enough (a motivated procrastinator...?) to know I'm doing myself no good by procrastinating. When I know there's a list of things to be done, it just weighs on my mind (both consciously and sub-consciously), causing unneeded stress in the meantime, and then a lot of extra stress when I'm rushing to finish something that could have easily been done weeks ago.

I will say, I've gotten a little bit better. I mean, posts are going up each day and there's no real deadline for that... so, baby steps?

Time to dish - are you a procrastinator? Any well-proven tips to deal with procrastination? I'm all ears!

Have a good weekend, friends! xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover