Friday, March 8, 2013

So, I Married a Russian... Vol. 5 | Women's Day

(The card I created on Paperless Post)

Happy International Women's Day!

Did you even know International Women's Day is a thing? I honestly didn't know about it until I met Taras. If I recall correctly, the first year we were together he sent me flowers, and it wasn't until I opened the card that I realized they weren't just because flowers, but as a way for him to show his appreciation for me on Women's Day (or, March 8th, as Taras calls the holiday). In more recent years, he tells me well-wishes on the holiday and sends a congratulatory e-mail to some of our women friends and family.

The holiday is widely-celebrated in Russia, as well as many other parts of the world. It's my understanding that some cultures recognize and celebrate the day as an appreciation toward women, in a Valentine's or Mother's Day sort of way, while other cultures take the day to recognize the achievements of women in society. Taras's family celebrates the day as more of an appreciation for those women who are close them.

This is the first year that I've taken the opportunity to recognize this holiday. I attempted to send hand-written cards - I even went to Target to pick them out - but the week got away from me as weeks tend to do. Instead, I sent the e-card above to some of the ladies in my life (as many as I could send before I ran out of free coins on Paperless Post). Since Women's Day is not super popular in the US, I struggled to find an e-card that was my style. Ultimately, I ended up creating my own, using a flowered card from Paperless Post - Taras has been very clear that Women's Day cards must have flowers on them!

PS - check out the google search home page today.

Some Russian March 8th cards my mother in law has saved.

Thanks for reading! You can also find me here: Tagabonds (our travel blog), facebook, twitter, instagram, pinterest, and on the new vine app for the iPhone (search for: amanda bouzakine).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover