Friday, August 30, 2013

A Green Salad (without the lettuce)


Lately, our garden is flush with a supply of herbs, cucumbers, and peppers. So, naturally, I'm trying to find ways to use up all these things.

This salad really started out with just cucumbers and mint (one of my favorite flavor combinations) but then I decided to just throw in everything else I harvested from our containers that day - enter the parsley and jalapeno.

This isn't so much a recipe as it is inspiration. I used the proportions that are shown in the picture above (I ended up adding one more small cucumber to the mix), but you can add and subtract ingredients however you'd like. Mix it all together with salt, pepper, olive oil, and fresh lemon juice to taste (I like it heavy on the lemon). Oh, and be sure to peel the cucumbers if you're not partial to their slightly bitter taste. You can serve the salad right away, but if you have time to let it sit in the fridge for a few hours, the flavors will really come together.


I like this salad for its simplicity (and I kinda love how green it is!), but you could spruce it up with some tomatoes, feta cheese, and/or toasted pine nuts. If you wanted to keep with the green theme, I think green onions would be a delicious addition.

Enjoy the salad as a snack, alongside some grilled meat, or, how we did, bring it along for a beach-side picnic.

Health benefits of this salad:
Cucumbers - Made up of 95% water and high in dietary fiber, they're great for both hydrating your body and eliminating toxins. They're also a good source of vitamins A, B, and C (but leave that skin on to get the full benefit of these vitamins).
Mint - Promotes digestion.
Jalapenos - Packed with vitamin C! Also, the antioxidant capsaicin is what gives the pepper its heat (the more capsaicin, the hotter the pepper, ranging from none in a bell pepper to a lot in a habanero pepper).
Parsley - Among other benefits, this herb provides vitamins A, C, and 153% of the recommended daily amount of vitamin K (this vitamin helps with blood clotting and increases bone strength).  

3 comments:

  1. Oh yeah my mom made cucumber salad all the time and yes it is raining here too 81and raining yuck.

    Ali of Dressing Ken

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been trying to start a garden....this looks so yummy and I am sure it is with all the fresh produce you have :)

    xx Alecia likesof.us

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover