Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Healthy Cookbook Suggestions


When it comes to eating, I try to keep a balance of eating clean and indulging. I find that what works best for me is purely eating clean at home, then splurging when I go out to eat or when I enjoy a meal at someone else's home.

The thing is, as much as I can keep good, clean food stocked in the house, I am not much of a natural cook, so making everything come together for a meal that is both healthy and tasty has been a bit of a challenge for me.

Recently, I've taken to relying on recipes, mostly from these two cookbooks: The Healthy Slow Cooker by Judith Finlayson and It's All Good by Gwyneth Paltrow.

(Thai peanut chicken from The Healthy Slow Cooker over quinoa)

From The Healthy Slow Cooker, I cook one recipe over the weekend so we have meals ready for lunches during the upcoming week (or for those nights when we don't want to cook). The recipes we've tried out so far have been tasty, and I'm amazed at how many veggies the author manages to squeeze into each dish. Plus, I love how the health benefits and nutritional analysis is included with each recipe. The crock pot meals we've made so far have been of the chicken + vegetable variety, then I cook up a batch of quinoa or brown rice for the week to serve alongside the main dish.

The makings of chimichurri sauce from It's All Good

It's All Good is like my soul book these days. Taras even jokes that my bff Gwyneth is dining with us when the cookbook is on the table next to us during dinner. Sure, the recipes take a bit more time and use more expensive ingredients, but the results are worth it. If you like to eat clean and enjoy meals without dairy and gluten, this is a really great book, with tips and tricks and bits of her personal story throughout. I'm particularly stoked for all the salad dressing recipes, because my go-to olive oil and lemon can use a bit of an update. (Pssst: have you seen the Instagram feed @gwynethmademedoit? It's amazing.)

------

Oh yeah! You may have noticed that I've been skipping the weekend updates lately. I've decided to quit doing these posts (for now, at least) because it feels much more natural to just mini blog throughout the weekend over on instagramfacebook, and twitter. So if you'd like to keep up with our weekend adventures, be sure to follow me over there!

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover