Friday, October 11, 2013

Apples, Three Ways


As happens after an afternoon of apple picking, we came home with more apples than we could possibly eat. But now, almost a week later, we've somehow managed to get through most of these guys. Here are a few things I made to help with our apple-eating efforts.


This was my first attempt at homemade applesauce and I was amazed at how easy it is to make - this recipe from Martha Stewart has only a few ingredients! I forgot to peel the apples and realized it after all the apples were chopped up, so I kept the skins on and ended up with pink applesauce - a win in my book. Next time, I'll play around with more flavors - ground cinnamon, vanilla extract, pumpkin spice... so many possibilities.


Baked apples have got to be the easiest thing in the world - just cut in half, get the core out, then bake! I did love this recipe, though, for its granola-like baked topping. We finished ours off with a scoop of Trader Joe's frozen Greek yogurt, a dash of cinnamon, and a drizzle of real maple syrup.


My most adventurous undertaking was these vegan apple oat tartlets. I have been so hesitant to make something of this sort, though I had almost everything in our cupboard because I've been attempting to make a healthy dessert for so long. I hesitantly pulled out the food processor that I had never used (Seriously. I had never used it.), and found out how easy it actually is to process sunflower seeds and oats into a flour of sorts! Taras and I loved these and there's not one bad-for-you thing in them. It's a healthy snack masked as a deceiving dessert.

What are your favorite dishes to make with seasonal apples?

3 comments:

  1. Great ideas for apples :)

    I love your blog! New follower via GFC! Follow me back?!?!


    http://diaryofabrwneyedgirl.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love making apple chips with Apple! It is soooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun! Absolutely love this idea!!!
    xo TJ

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover