Thursday, February 20, 2014

Somm

Okay, so, Taras and I watched another documentary and I cannot stop thinking about it! Have you heard about Somm? (See the trailer here. We streamed the movie on Netflix.) The movie follows four guys who are trying to pass the Master Sommelier exam, which we learned is super intense and has a very low pass rate -- the exam started in 1969 and by the end of 2013 only 214 people in the world had earned this title.

A screenshot of the guys practicing a wine tasting.

Can you imagine being a part of a network so prestigious that only 214 people have ever been a part of it? Before watching the movie, I knew there were different levels of Sommeliers but I had no clue how challenging a task it is to earn this highest ranking. The amount of studying and intensity shown by the four guys sitting for the exam reminded me a lot of what it was like when I prepared and sat for the CPA exam! Flash cards for days!


When it comes to wine, I find it really difficult to pick up on specific notes (like fruit, chocolate, or earth tones) and I'm guilty of picking out a bottle of wine based on the label (many times!). Taras always impresses me with his ability to taste different notes in wine - and beer - and to remember a certain variety we previously enjoyed, which I can never seem to do.


Taras and I both tend to drink whatever wine we want with a meal, rather than abiding by the rules of food and wine pairings. And we definitely think a $10 bottle of wine can be just as good as a $90 bottle. But I'd be curious to talk to a Master Sommelier and hear their opinion on cheap vs. expensive wines or how they feel about mis-matched wine and food pairings. I wonder if they are steadfast about the known rules of wine, or if they believe that everyone's palates are different - that we should be able to drink what we want, when we want it.

Anyway, I think wine is such a fascinating (and delicious) subject. It's cool to hear differing opinions on how wine should be enjoyed, or to see how varied peoples' responses can be to the exact same wine. I'd love to hear your thoughts on wine - do you take a more casual approach, or do you think wine drinking should follow serious rules?

P.S. Taras has started tracking our wines in the Wine Notes app, which has been incredibly helpful when we're in a store and can't decide what to buy.  :)

2 comments:

  1. Oooo, I should try that app! Wine tasting and food pairing is so fun! My boyfriend and I went to a restaurant for Valentine's Day that specialized in wine pairing with each of your courses, and it was a lot of fun!

    http://www.melindadiorio.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The app is a lifesaver for remember our favorites (or remembering which ones not to re-buy, haha!).

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover